Decoding the Litecoin Miner Antminer L3+
Antminer L3+ is presently the most powerful Litecoin miner. It was launched by Bitmain in April 2017. It can deliver a hash rate of 504MH/s with a power-efficiency of 1.6J/MH. Currently, it is priced at $440.
- It is moderately priced.
- L3+ has the highest hashrate among Litecoin miners.
- The miner provides an annual return of approximately $6,000.
- It doesn’t include a PSU (Power Supply Unit).
The Antminer L3+ Litecoin miner requires a special power supply from Bitmain which is the APW5 power supply. It is the most efficient power supply on the market for Antminer L3+. The APW5 power supply can provide up to 1300 W / 110 V or 2600 W over 205 V+.
|Antminer L3+ Litecoin Miner Specifications|
|Hash Rate||504MH / S|
|Wall Power Consumption||800W ± 10%|
|Power Efficiency||1.6J / MH ± 10% (at the wall, AC / DC 93% efficiency, 25 ° C ambient temperature)|
|Input Voltage||11.6 ~ 13.0V|
|Number of Chips||288PCS|
|Number of Plates in the Machine||4PCS|
|Dimensions||352 mm (L) * 130 mm (W) * 187.5 mm (H)|
|Packing Size||445 mm (L) * 215 mm (W) * 285 mm (H)|
|Weight (excluding packaging)||4.4kg|
|Operating Temperature||0 ° C to 40 ° C|
|Operating Humidity||5% RH-95% RH, non-condensing|
|Internet Connection||Ethernet (cable connection)|
|Fan||Two fans, front fan 4300 rpm, rear fan 3600 rpm|
Setup Guide for Litecoin Miner
Determine the Address Range for the Router
1.Open your windows command prompt (search/start -> cmd -> enter), and type “ipconfig”. The following output appears.
2. Go to the advanced LAN settings and change the gateway to 192.168.1.1:
3. Click “Apply” if it works, you will need to re-login at the new IP.
2. Connect everything to the Litecoin Miner
- Plug 6-pin 12v plugs from the bitmain power supply to the 8 positions on the hash boards, and the one position on the control board.
Note: There are a total of 10 plugs coming from the power supply, so there will be one extra unused plug.
2. Plug in the ethernet cable to the antminer. Then, plug in the power supply to the outlet pigtail.
3. You might hear some light fan for a few seconds followed by a maximum fan speed. This is followed by a drop to a more low-speed fan that increases incrementally. This ensures that the unit has correctly finished it’s boot cycle. Green and yellow lights will also be visible near the ethernet connection.
3. Change the Litecoin Miner Settings
1. First, logon to your router, and select ‘Attached Devices.’ A list of IP addresses appear. Second, choose the name “antminer”. If you don’t see the name write down the IP addresses you see. Third, type in the IP of your antminer into a new browser tab. Lastly, click “OK”
2. The following screen appears:
3. Click on the ‘Miner Configuration’ tab at the top.
4. Enter your mining pool details and click “ Save and Apply”.
Note: Make sure you enter at least 3 servers, possibly from 3 different pools, so that the Litecoin Miner stays busy even if your main pool is offline.
The miner will run again with a high fan speed for a short time followed by a decreased fan speed that increases incrementally.
4. Check the Miner Status
1.Click on the ‘Miner Status’ tab at the top.
2. The following screen appears-
3. Check on the following things:
- The expected hash rate for the Litecoin miner is 504 MH/s(approximately).
- Check all the pools entered say “Alive” and not “ Dead”.
- Check the value of “HW” which stands for “ hardware faults”. It should ideally stay low but some number is fine.
- Monitor the chip temperatures. The miner should automatically shut off if the temperature reaches 80 degrees Celsius.
- Notice the ASIC status bars on the bottom right.
Pool-Side Hashrate for the Litecoin Miner
Precautions to be Taken while using the Litecoin Miner
1. It is recommended that a machine with a single power supply 950W or higher power consumption is used. In a dependent power supply case, the four hash boards can be connected to different power supply. It is important to remember that each hash board cannot be connected with multiple power supplies. It is necessary to ensure that hash boards are fully powered. L3 + has a total of nine PCI-E interfaces, one in control board, two in each hash board and all need to be connected.
2. The proposed ambient temperature is between 10 degrees to 30 degrees. The proposed ambient humidity is about 40%. High humidity and dust accumulation can lead to a short circuit and also corrode the hash board.
3. L3 + comes with two fans. When a fan cannot be detected, the machine will work for a while and then an alarm will ring. Check the GUI of the machine to see if both fans are detected. The machine cannot use WIFI and requires the network cable in order to connect to the network. The machine is equipped with a buzzer. Whenever there is a break in the network, an undetected fan or a higher temperature the buzzer will ring.
The Antminer L3+ was tested and was found to be working efficiently. Its 504MH/s hashrate with a power consumption of 800W for $209 makes it a great option for miners. It is most likely to reduce the total costs during the miner lifetime.
Antminer L3+ can be purchased at Bitmain’s official site or Amazon.